26 January 2015
Devotee: There is uttama adhikari (devotee), madhyama adhikari and kanistha adhikari… Under or below kanistha adikary, is there also one level of devotee?
Srila Gurudev: Devotees are of three categories in our vaisnava philosophy: kanistha, madhyama and uttama adhikari. Kanistha… Also three types of kanistha: kanistha-kanistha, kanistha-madhyama and kanistha-uttama… Madhyama-kanista, madhyama-madhyama and madhyama-uttama. Uttama, also three types: uttama-kanistha, uttama-madhyama and uttama-uttama.
Kanistha Adhikari, that’s called neophyte devotees, three categories, now coming:
– Kanistha-kanistha means just received Harinam, and maybe diksa… But his faith is not strong. But he follows the four principles… Sometimes he chants the holy names, maybe not in a proper way… Thas is called kanistha-kanistha vaisnava, very neophyte devotee. But he follows the four principles. So… He is called Kanistha-Kanistha.
– Kanistha-madhyama, he’s associating with sadhu and listening to harikatha… He follows the four principles, and he’s doing bhajan and sadhan… And, little bit some, also, (he has) sastra knowledge… Not so much. That is called kanistha madhyama… Understand?
– Kanistha-uttama, he has some sastra knowledge… Not too much… This is true… But shraddha (faith), (he has) more than others: kanistha-kanistha and kanistha-madhyama… So, he comes in the stage of nistha… Sraddha, Sadhusanga, Bhajana kriya, Anartha nvritti, nistha… The Kanistha-uttama comes in the stage of nistha… Understand? Steadiness comes…
– Madhyama-kanista qualification (is that of) one who comes in the stage of ruci-dasa… Ruci means taste is coming… He follows all the principles, all the rules and regulations, he does bhajan and sadhan, and (he has) sastra jnana… But, (with his) sastra jnana, he, sometimes, cannot give all the evidence from the scriptures… But he has faith in sastra and in the instructions of guru.
– Madhyama-madhyama, he comes in the stage of asakti-dasa. All these qualification are comming.
– Madhyama-uttama, he comes in the stage of (before bhava-dasa) rati. Rati manifests in his heart. He has sastra jnana, chants the holy names, never criticize any sadhu… He is always absorbed… That is called madhyama-uttama.
– Uttama-kanistha is one who comes in the stage of bhava-dasa… Chanting holynames absorbed… In bhava-dasa he’s coming…
(recites: Bhakti Rasamrta sindhu 1.3.25)
nama-gane sada rucih
ity adayo ‘nubhavah syur
So… Uttama-kanistha, he comes in the stage of bhava-dasa, and he realizes his transcendental constitutional form, siddha deha parricar… He knows his constitutional form, siddha deha.
– Then… Uttama-madhyama is always absorved with lila-katha, performing bhajan and sadhana…
– And Uttama-uttama, he completely attained the stage of prema-dasa.
(recites: Srimad Bhagavatam 11.02.40)
jatanurago druta-citta uccaih
hasaty atho roditi rauti gayaty
unmada-van nrtyati loka-bahyah
All his activities (are) as like mad (person)… Transcendental maddness coming… As like Sukadeva Goswamipad, uttama-uttama mahabaghavat, when he came in the assembly with Pariksit Maharaj, that time he had no clothes, he was completely naked and his hair was completely scattered… Absorbed in Krsna lila… That’s the uttama-uttama…
Devotee: Gurudev, there are two types of uttama-uttama devotees, right? One who was a sadhaka, and one who was an eternal parrikar…
Srila Gurudev: Some sadhaka, and some siddha. Sadhaka or siddha… One person doing bhajana and sadhana, then coming from kanistha to madhyama, madhyama to uttama (Sadhaka)… Or (Siddha), one who comes from (where) siddha comes from, he’s acting the role of uttama, but actually he is a nitya parrikar, like sukadev Goswamipad. Sukadeva Goswamipad, actually, he is the eternal associate of Srimati Radhika… Yesterday I told… Who is Sukedeva Goswamipad? The parrot of Srimati Radhika… But he is acting in the role of an uttama-uttama mahabhagavat.
Devotee: So, there are two types of uttama-uttama, sadhaka and siddha.
Srila Gurudev: Sadhaka and Siddha… Sadhaka, those who are conditional soul, doing bhajan and sadhana, coming step-by-step – kanistha to madhyama, madhyama to uttama… Siddha, actually they are uttama-uttama mahabhagavat… They are also beyond of uttama-uttama mahabhagavat… But acting the role of uttama mahabhagavat.
Bilvamangal Thakur, he’s called: the example of sadhaka.
Bilvamangal adu sadhakas parikirtitah, Srila Rupa Goswamipad explains in Bhakti Rasamrta Sindhu that Bilvamangal Thakur is called “sadhaka”. What is the definition of sadhaka… Perfect sadhaka?
He’s uttpana-ratayah… Rati manifested in his heart, but he is not qualified to direct take darsan to Lord. Why? Because (there is) some smell of vaisnava aparadha in his heart. So, for this regard, he cannot take darsan to Lord. Krsna darsan… He is qualified to take darsan to Krsna… But still (there is) some smell of vaisnava aparadha… Not vaisnava aparadha, (but) some smell of vaisnava aparadha is there. So, for this regard, he cannot take darsan… When all his smell of vaisnava aparadha is dispeled from his heart, then he can take darsan to the Lord. Actually, uttama-adikari, he is qualified to take darsan to Lord; kanistha adhikari can not… This is out of question. Madhyama-adhikari, madhyama-uttama, also he is not qualified to take darsan to Lord… (I mean) Not (that he is not) qualified… He still cannot take darsan to Lord, but he is qualified. Bhakti-Rasamrta-sindhu giving the definition about sadhaka: Uttpana-ratayah Krsna… Rati uttpana… Rati means deep attachment towards Krsna has manifested in his heart… But (there are) some impediments (understand?), obstacles in his heart,… So, for this regard, he cannot take darsan to the Lord… But he is qualified… Then, soon he will become uttama-kanistha, then, as uttama-kanistha he can take the darsan to the Lord.
Uttama-Bhagavat, only, takes darsan to the Lord.
Devotee: When is spurti coming?
Srila Gurudev: Spurti is coming in Madhyama-uttama. Uttama mahabhagavat he directly takes darsan.
Jay Srila Gurudev!
Transcription: Lilananda Prabhuji (Brazil)